Drunk driver causes large explosion. Kills a motorcyclist. Young girl in a coma
Personal details (age, family, etc.):
- Female, 18, residing with her family in Mississauga. Very wealthy business family, single child.
- At the time of the accident she was attending University of Toronto, aspiring to become a lawyer
Accident details (how, where, when, diagram):
- The girl was riding a motorcycle as a passenger with her at the time boyfriend. They were traveling at on The Queensway Westbound at night. Just West of Dixie Road they were side swiped by a drunk driver. As they fell off the motorcycle, the fuel tank exploded. The motorcycle driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Sandy was pinned under the bike. She was airlifted to St. Michaels Hospital and placed in the ICU.
Initial accident injuries (hospitalization, damages):
- Severe traumatic brain injury (GCS 6)
- Severe facial fractures.
- Severe burns to the upper portion of her body including head, face, chest, shoulders, arms, and abdominal area.
- Complete loss of hair on the left side of her head due to severe burns.h
- Lost left eye due to burns
- Fractures of ribs, both legs, left foot, right arm.
- Degloving (skin scraped off to the bone due to contact with asphalt) injury of the right arm.
- She remained on life support in the ICU for 2 weeks and remained in the hospital for 4 months.
- She underwent numerous surgeries while at the hospital, which included facial reconstructive surgery, internal fixation surgery for her leg, skin grafting to repair damage due to burns and degloving.
- She continued receiving plastic surgeries for the next 3 years to address burn marks and facial deformities.
Sequelae, Injuries and conditions list:
- Due to the brain injury the client suffered from severe memory loss and difficulties with communicating, speech, attention, executive function, physical aggression issues
- The client developed major depression and had to be hospitalized on several occasions due to suicidal ideation.
- She never returned to normal life, and became very withdrawn from the society due to severe facial deformities and the attention it drew
- Due to stress related to Sandy’s condition, the parents divorced and she ended up living with her mother.
- Immediately deemed CAT
- Due to severe nature of her injuries the initial care was carried out by the hospital, and following discharge the client
- She was assigned a case manager, and engaged in Speech-Language Pathology, OT, PT, once per week, psychologist twice per week.
- The client required 24/7 attendant care due to suicidal ideation
- Sandy had significant difficulty attending her appointments due to depression, and eventually all focus was shifted to home-based therapies.
- Significant success was attained with home-based therapy, and eventually, after receiving a face prosthetic, she became open to engaging in activities outside her home.
- 4 years after the accident the client attempted to attend college on part-time basis with the assistance of a rehabilitation therapist but was unable to continue due to the sequelae of brain injury
- She was eventually able to start a relationship and got married.
- She was never able to return to school or gainful employment. She continued to battle depression and anxiety and does so.
Settlement or judgment:
- Settlement reached after 5 years, 1.7 mil plus TORT unknown